Thursday, December 18, 2008

Shift Happens Thoughts


As I view this again and again, the one slide keeps coming back to haunt me:

“We are currently preparing students for jobs and technologies that don’t yet exist…in order to solve problems we don’t even know are problems yet.”

Karl Fisch really hits home with this statement. I see my school as not even being up to speed with the technology available two years ago let alone looking to the future. My school, and I am assuming many schools, are operating in a deficit of technology. With three laptops working efficiently in our school library (the other fifteen are waiting for upgrades and waiting and waiting), I am becoming more and more frustrated with the inadequacies from which we conduct education. Not being up-to-speed with current technology is only part of my anxiety. Knowing that even Albert Einstein said, “We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them," leaves such an endless progression of uncertainty.

I'm going to make a random connection to Orson Scott Card's novel Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus. In this novel you see just how vital it is for the world to work together if, in fact, the people and the environment is to survive.

The possibilities are there for this to happen. They are litterally at our fingertips. We all need to begin making those connections. I am eager to do so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment