Saturday, December 27, 2008

Upon Reviewing Partnership for 21st Century Learning

The Partnership for 21st Century Learning has created this radiant rainbow to help give structure and relationship to the future of education. I was impressed by the notion that the core subjects included 21st Century themes (global awareness, civil literacy, health literacy, and financial, economic, business and entrepreneurial literacy). I foresee that in my English/language arts classroom Global Awareness is something that is easily integratable (and has been for some time). However, it reminds me of how the content areas begin to blur, to overlap, to become integrated. This, I believe is a great benefit to our students.

Question...
Why is it that our states continue to create their own frameworks, standards, curriculum, or whatever they choose to call them as opposed to embracing national frameworks? Aren't we in this together?

Question...
When reviewing the National Council of Teachers of English's new framework, I wonder about what needs to happen in the state of New Hampshire, in my curriculum mapping school system in order for the framework to receive life? Mapping is all well in good, but it seems we are mapping past practice as opposed to being challenged to embrace the 21st Century possibilities of our instruction and our learning.

Question...
What do we do about ensuring that this vision is nationally accepted? I read the article "The Partnership Offers Recommendations to Help the Obama White House Forge a 21st Century Workforce." This is a start at the top, but what implications does it have for a small school system in northern New Hampshire? We need to be our own advocates for integration; however, what do you do about standardizing this integration for each elementary, self-contained environment if some teachers are embracing, using, and successful with various aspects of the vision and others are still teaching in 20th Century states of mind?

Question...
Where is New Hampshire in the State Initiatives?

The mission of The Partnership for 21st Century Skills: Serve as a catalyst to position 21st century skills at the center of US K-12 education by building collaborative partnerships among education, business, community and government leaders (http://www.21stcenturyskills.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=188&Itemid=110). Something that I am beginning to notice is that this site and the School 2.o may or may not be focusing on the families. I think that each is aware that the students and parents are "Stakeholders," but I wonder what are they offering these stakeholders? Technology accessibility in their homes? Is it important in this country as it is in many others to connect families at home? I still know a few teachers without Internet access in their home due to the expense. In my classes there are only about 60% of the students that have a computer at home with Internet capabilities. What are the implications of this in our progressive approach to knowledge acquisition?

3 comments:

  1. You make some very good points. I'd like to think that the standards adopted by NH are based on the national standards (I believe math and technology are at least).
    OMG..your mention of curriculum mapping brings me back to when we were expected to create them (but only at the middle school and not elementary or high school). We hated doing them every month! And now we have a superintendent (a native of Littleton I might add) who might resurrect them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have all the answers to all your questions but I was thinking that each state takes care of it's own due to the diversity or lack thereof? Also funding probably has something to do with it. Today at my school, we were in lock-down, like a prison...we have no money...standards are fairly basic...and def not being met.

    ReplyDelete